If you think HCC's Police Academy might be for you, complete the Candidate Interest Form to stay informed of information sessions and special events.
The HCC Police Academy is a law enforcement training facility designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and understanding necessary to function effectively in all areas of law enforcement. The Police Academy offers entry-level recruit training for Maryland Police and Corrections Training Commissions (MPCTC) certification as well as numerous advanced training courses throughout the year.
The entry-level curriculum is divided into several broad areas of study and consists of lecture, practical, and physical experiences. The goal of this program is to meet or exceed all Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions (MPCTC) entry-level training objectives while providing top quality higher education where twenty-seven undergraduate credits are earned and, often, associates degrees are completed.
The HCC Police Academy provides advanced training in various law-enforcement disciplines. Course offerings are driven by instructor availability, course availability, and agency requests. The advanced training courses typically award in-service credit approved in both Maryland (MPCTC) and West Virginia (DJCS).
- Next class starts July 3, 2017.
Entry-Level Course Admission Requirements
- Be at least 21 years old on the date of graduation
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED recognized by the state of Maryland
- Be of good moral character and have a police record clear of felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- Have a driving record with no more than 3 points and no serious or repeated traffic offenses
- Pass a physical examination and a drug screening -Authorize a complete background investigation
If you meet the above requirements, you must apply both to HCC and directly to the Police Academy Program (see link to application package below). If your application is accepted, you must then:
- Pass a physical fitness test (40th percentile of Cooper’s Standard)
- Pass a panel interview
- Pass a background investigation including criminal background check
If all requirements are met, you will be offered admission into the next Entry-Level Police Academy Course.
The Hagerstown Community College Police Academy is committed to providing the highest caliber of law enforcement instruction. The Police Academy accomplishes this by maintaining a cadre of highly qualified, expert-instructors, ensuring that recruits have the superior learning tools needed for success. Graduates of the Academy will be prepared to enter the law enforcement profession and actively work with their communities to promote and protect the safety of the citizens they serve.
- Administration of Justice, Police Academy Option, A.A.S.
- Police Academy, Administration of Justice, Certificate