- Quick Links
- Academics (Credit)
- Continuing Education (Non-Credit)
- HCC Portal
- Student Email
- College Central Network
- Emergency Alert Sign-Up
- Transcript Requests
- Alumni Association
- HCC Foundation
- Administrator on Duty
- Directions and Maps
- News and Events
The Nurse Refresher course is a three-step process designed for the registered nurse, or licensed practical nurse, for the reinstatement of an inactive Maryland license. Step I: Classroom Theory is 80 hours of classroom nursing theory; Step II: Skills Lab is 12 hours of hands-on skills lab; and Step III: Clinical Practice is 60 hours of clinical experience. To participate, students need to have an inactive license which meets the renewal requirements set by the Maryland Board of Nursing. Nurses who possess active licenses and wish to update their knowledge/skills are also eligible to take the course.
Prior to Step III of the Nurse Refresher course, students must complete the following requirements:
- An American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) certification course. The student is responsible to pay the required fees for the course.
- Completion of a criminal background check
- Documentation of a physical exam obtained within 12 months of the start of Clinical Practice class
- Documentation of Rubeola immunity by one of the following:
- Laboratory evidence of immunity
- Two doses of measles vaccine after first birthday (disqualify vaccinations prior to 1967)
- Documentation of Rubella immunity by one of the following:
- Laboratory evidence of immunity
- Two doses of rubella vaccine after the first birthday (disqualify vaccinations prior to 1967)
- Physician diagnosis of rubella
- Birth before 1957
- Documentation of Mantoux Tuberculin test within past year
- Documentation Tetanus or booster within past 10 years
- Documentation of MMR titer
- Documentation of Varicella
- If unsure of history, an antibody titer is indicated
- Written statement, signed and dated, that states "I have had the chicken pox."
- Hepatitis B vaccination is strongly recommended
- An HCC agreement/waiver for Hepatitis immunization must be completed
- Complete the HCC nursing questionnaire
- Possess an inactive Maryland nursing license. If a student has an active license, he/she will receive a certificate after meeting the requirements of each step; it is not necessary to apply to the MBON for a license, unless the student is from out of state and that state does not participate as part of compact multi-license agreement with Maryland.
The Nurse Refresher Course will take approximately 16-24 weeks to complete.
- Step 1 is 10 weeks of theory; two 4-hour lectures per week.
- Step 2 is comprised of three 4-hour skills labs.
- Step 3 consists of 60 hours of clinical hours with a preceptor and must be completed prior to the end date of Clinical Practice class.
Step I: Nurse Refresher Classroom Theory
- Classes will be held on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Consists of 80 hours of classroom theory with the following areas of concentration:
- Delivery of nursing care utilizing the nursing process
- Adult Medical/Surgical nursing
- Current issues, trends, and nursing practice
- Successful completion requires an 80% or higher on the average of the four exams.
Step II: Nurse Refresher Skills Lab
- Classes held to coincide with Step 1 on Tuesday evenings from 6 pm to 10 pm
- Students will review the basic nursing skills needed to provide nursing care in a state-of-art simulation lab
Step III: Nurse Refresher Clinical Practice
- Step 1 and Step 2 are pre-requisities
- Students must complete 60 clinical hours with a preceptor in clinic setting supervised by a BSN nurse who has minimum of 3 years of experience.
After successful completion of Nurse Refresher Course - HCC will notify the MD Board of Nursing. The student is required to apply for a change in licensure from inactive to active, pay the fee, and submit a copy of each of the three certificates of completion. The application, fee, and copies of the three certificates should be mailed to: Pam Ambush-Burris, Director of Education and Licensure, MD Board of Nursing, 4140 Patterson Ave., Baltimore, MD 21215.
Comprehensive Live NCLEX® Review
The Comprehensive Live NCLEX Review is an all-inclusive, live study session covering essential nursing content that aligns with the NCLEX test plan. Led by a master’s degreed nurse educator, the engaging, interactive format reviews all content areas and includes test-taking strategies, critical thinking exercises and Q&A practice.
The Comprehensive Live NCLEX® Review provides:
- Current NCLEX® detailed test plan is used to focus on application of knowledge.
- Pre- and post-test Q&A with over 500 new questions available online, including alternate test item formats with detailed rationales. Includes test-taking strategies and critical thinking exercises.
- Comprehensive NCLEX® Review Book included.
- Content review of Medical-Surgical, Women's Health, Pediatrics, Mental Health, Community and Nursing Management.
- Review of all content areas.
With its overview of essential content, this engaging live review is an all-inclusive resources for NCLEX® preparation.
We will work with you until you pass NCLEX®.
For more information, contact Susan Lee at 240-500-2614 or firstname.lastname@example.org.