The Nurse Refresher course is a three-step process designed for the Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse for the reinstatement of an inactive Maryland license. Step 1 of the Nurse Refresher course consists of 80 hours of theory; Step 2 is 8 hours of hand-on skills training, and Step 3 is 60 hours of clinical experience.
Prior to beginning the Clinical Practice component, students must:
- Possess an active, inactive or temporary Maryland nursing license (RN or LPN)
- Provide documentation of a physical exam (signed by a medical provider – MD, PA, or NP) within 12 months of the start date of the Clinical Practice
- Have a current Basic Life Support Health Care Provider CPR card issued by the American Heart Association
- Provide medical documentation or waivers of the following vaccinations: MMR or titer, Varicella or titer, Tetanus, Hepatitis B series, and negative TB test (PPD or Chest X-Ray) – TB results should be within the past 12 months of the start date of Clinical Practice
- Criminal Background Check
The Nurse Refresher Course will take sixteen weeks to complete
- Step 1 is 10 weeks of theory; two 4-hour lectures per week
- Step 2 consists of two 4-hour skills labs
- Step 3 consists of 60 hours of clinical hours with a preceptor
Step 1: Nurse Refresher I Classroom Theory (NRS 539 C)
9/8/14-11/12/14 | Fee: $635 | Sr. Fee $391 | Reg. Fee $8| CPB 125
- Classes held on Monday and Wednesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Consists of 80 hours of classroom theory with the following areas of concentration:
- Delivery of nursing care utilizing the nursing process
- Adult Medical/Surgical nursing
- Current issues, trends, and nursing practice
- Successful completion requires an 80% or higher on the average of four exams
Step 2: Nurse Refresher Skills Lab (NRS 094 C)
9/23/14, 10/14/14, 11/11/14 (Students must attend two of the three classes)
Fee: $341 | Sr. Fee $245 | Reg. Fee $8 | CPB 154
- Classes held on Tuesday evenings from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Students will review the basic nursing skills needed to provide nursing care in a state-of- art simulation lab
Step 3: Nurse Refresher Clinical Practice (NRS 743 E)
11/17/14-2/13/15 | Fee: $235 | Sr. Fee $131 | Reg. Fee: $8
- Step 1 and Step 2 are prerequisites
- Students must complete 60 clinical hours in a clinic setting
After successful completion of all three steps, HCC will notify the MBON. The student is required to apply for a change in licensure from inactive to active, pay the fee, and submit a copy of each of the three certificates of completion.