- Quick Links
- Academics (Credit)
- Continuing Education (Non-Credit)
- HCC Portal
- Student Email
- College Central Network
- Emergency Alert Sign-Up
- Transcript Requests
- Alumni Association
- HCC Foundation
- Administrator on Duty
- Directions and Maps
- News and Events
Incoming Transfer Students
General Transfer Criteria
Transfer credit is posted to an HCC transcript after a student has completed one three-credit course at HCC and if one of the following criteria is met:
- The institution is regionally accredited by a commission on higher education. The college uses Transfer Credit Practices of Designated Educational Institutions published by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- HCC has an articulation agreement with a business, school or industry. Articulation agreements specify award of credit for meeting certain criteria and presenting certain documents.
- The American Council on Education (ACE) has reviewed and recommended the course for credit. The following books are used to evaluate nontraditional credit: The Directory of the National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction, The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services or the National Guide to Educational Credit for Training Programs.
College and University Transfer Credit
Credit is granted for course work completed at regionally accredited colleges and universities and that apply to the student’s program at HCC. Faculty may review courses taken more than ten years ago. Credit for courses accepted from other institutions satisfy HCC’s graduation requirements. The course grades, however, are not calculated in the grade point average at HCC. For students transferring from any University of Maryland system institution, all applicable general education coursework with a grade of “D” or above will be accepted in transfer. For program requirements, grades of “D” will be accepted only if the grade point average for the block of courses is 2.0 or higher. HCC will convert courses taken at institutions that operate on the quarter system to semester hours. Quarter hours are multiplied by 2/3 to equal semester hours. Students may transfer up to 75 percent of their degree or certificate requirements. All transfer students working for a degree or certificate must take at least 25 percent of their credits at HCC.
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions.
- Meet with an academic advisor to discuss your desired program of study.
- Complete and submit a Transcript Evaluation Request (TER) form to the Admissions and Registration office.
- An evaluation of your transcripts will be conducted, and you will receive a “degree audit” in the mail, showing how your previous courses apply to your HCC program of study.