Students should consider carefully how much they will need to borrow and take into account the potential future burden of repaying loans after college. Students who are planning to transfer to a four-year college are advised not to borrow additional loans at the community college level if grants, scholarships, or other payment arrangements are available.
If you do borrow student loans, please consider the following suggestions:
- Live like a college student (keep luxuries to a minimum) now so that you won’t have to live like a college student later.
- Always be aware of how much you have borrowed in student loans and what the estimated monthly payments will be.
- Check the National Student Loan Data System to make sure the loan amounts reported match your records and to obtain servicer contact information.
- Contact your loan holder to discuss possible options if you are having trouble making loan payments.
- Set up auto-payments for your student loans.
- Request a different repayment plan if needed.
- Notify your loan holder of any changes to my address, phone number, name, or enrollment status.
All student financial aid applicants, who complete the FAFSA and are eligible, will be awarded student loan funds:
- Freshman students will be awarded $5500.
- Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours and are registered in an eligible program, will be awarded $6500.
All loans are disbursed in two disbursements per semester.
Loan Application Process
- To apply for student loan funds, you must complete the FAFSA and submit all the documentation requested by the Student Financial Aid Office.
- To receive loan money you must sign the HCC Award Notification, printed from WebAdvisor, and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office. The award notification will be available on WebAdvisor once your loan has been processed.
- If you have not had a previous Direct Student Loan you must complete the entrance counseling and the MPN at www.studentloans.gov. You will need your FSA ID to complete this process.
- Answer the following questions accurately. Remember to contact the Student Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help.