Excessive Debt Appeal Form

Students should consider carefully how much they will need to borrow and take into account the potential future burden of repaying loans after college. Students who are planning to transfer to a four-year college are advised not to borrow additional loans at the community college level if grants, scholarships, or other payment arrangements are available.

If you do borrow student loans, please consider the following suggestions:

  • Live like a college student (keep luxuries to a minimum) now so that you won’t have to live like a college student later.
  • Always be aware of how much you have borrowed in student loans and what the estimated monthly payments will be.
  • Check the National Student Loan Data System to make sure the loan amounts reported match your records and to obtain servicer contact information.
  • Contact your loan holder to discuss possible options if you are having trouble making loan payments.
  • Set up auto-payments for your student loans.
  • Request a different repayment plan if needed.
  • Notify your loan holder of any changes to my address, phone number, name, or enrollment status.

All student financial aid applicants, who complete the FAFSA and are eligible, will be awarded student loan funds:

  • Freshman students will be awarded $5500.
  • Sophomore students, who have completed at least 30 credit hours and are registered in an eligible program, will be awarded $6500.

All loans are disbursed in two disbursements per semester.

Loan Application Process

  • To apply for student loan funds, you must complete the FAFSA and submit all the documentation requested by the Student Financial Aid Office.
  • To receive loan money you must sign the HCC Award Notification, printed from WebAdvisor, and return it to the Student Financial Aid Office. The award notification will be available on WebAdvisor once your loan has been processed.
  • If you have not had a previous Direct Student Loan you must complete the entrance counseling and the MPN at www.studentloans.gov. You will need your FSA ID to complete this process.
  • Answer the following questions accurately. Remember to contact the Student Financial Aid Office at finaid@hagerstowncc.edu if you need help.
Step 1

Please complete the Financial Awareness Counseling. Log in to StudentLoans.gov using your FSA ID and then choose the “Complete Counseling” option.  Then choose “Financial Awareness Counseling” in the middle of the screen.  Once there select Hagerstown Community College as a school to notify and then complete the counseling session.  

Provide the print off of the confirmation of completed counseling to the Student Financial Aid Office.

Step 2

(Hint: National Student Loan Database System: www.nslds.ed.gov)

Below is a sample loan repayment chart for the Standard Repayment Plan:

Loan amount
Monthly payment
Total repaid (principal + interest)
$5,500 $63 $7,595
$12,000 $138 $16,571
$19,500 $224 $26,929
$27,000 $311 $37,286
$31,000 $357 $42,810


Aggregate Loan Limits: Maximum limit while working on all undergraduate degrees:

  • Dependent students are limited to $31,500 (no more than $23,000 of which can be subsidized).
  • Independent students are limited to $57,500 (no more than $23,000 can be subsidized).
Step 3

(Hint: United States Department of Labor Statistics: www.bls.gov )

Step 4
Step 5

Please read the following:

  • By electronically submitting this form, I certify that all the information provided is complete and correct. I also understand that if I purposely give false or misleading information I may be fined, be sentenced to jail, or both.
  • I understand that I must complete the Exit Interview Session when I leave school whether by graduating, transferring or withdrawing at www.nslds.ed.gov.
  • I have completed the required financial awareness counseling.
  • To receive loan funds I must be enrolled and attending at least half time (six credits or more) at the time of the loan funds are disbursed to my account.
  • The Student Financial Aid Office communicates mainly via e-mail. The e-mail address listed below is one that I check on a regular basis. I am responsible for reading e-mail regarding my student loans. If I do not understand said e-mail it is my responsibility to contact the Student Financial Aid Office for clarification.
  • All address and telephone number corrections should be made on WebAdvisor.
Personal Information