NOTE: Deadline for Spring 2016 extended until Friday, December 4th
Please read the attached award criteria sheet before completing the scholarship application. By applying you are agreeing to comply with all requirements of the grant. The S-STEM Scholarship is intended to assist full-time students majoring in a STEM major at Hagerstown Community College. The annual maximum awards are based on financial need. The maximum annual award is $5,000. Scholarship decisions are determined by the S-STEM Scholarship Committee and are based on academic promise and financial need. The complete scholarship application is due by August 15 (June 15 for early decision) for Fall semesters and by November 16 for Spring semesters. Please ensure you have completed each step as listed on the award criteria page before submitting your application. For any questions please call the Student Financial Aid Office at (240)500-2605.
Procedures to Apply for a Scholarship
- Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Be sure to follow the online instructions for obtaining a PIN number for you, or your parent, to sign the electronic application. HCC’s school code is 002074.
- Complete and submit the S-STEM application and Data Form at the bottom of this page. Hard copies may be obtained at HCC’s Admissions Office or Financial Aid Office.
- Complete a one-page essay describing your academic and career plan(s).
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from former instructors or academic advisors/counselors (preferred), or employers, verifying potential of student for academic work. Recommendations will include assessment of student’s ability to learn, academic and/or intellectual prowess, critical thinking skills, and general knowledge of math and science.
- Deadline: August 15 for fall semester or November 16 for spring semester. For students applying for the Fall semester who are taking Summer courses, awards will be contingent upon Summer grades.
A student receiving an S-STEM scholarship funded by the National Science Foundation must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, refugee alien, or permanent resident alien
Be enrolled full-time (registered for a minimum of 12 credits each semester) in one of the following associate degree programs:
- Alternative Energy Technology
- Computer-Aided Design
- Cybersecurity/Networking Technology & Admin
- Industrial Technology
- Instrumentation and Process Control
- Computer Forensics
- Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Demonstrate financial need defined by the U.S. Department of Education rules for federal financial aid
Demonstrate academic potential or ability through:
- Scores on the SAT, ACT, or HCC’s Accuplacer test for new students
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale in coursework at HCC or in high school
Eligibility for the S-STEM scholarship cannot be determined until the results of the FAFSA are received and verified by the Office of Financial Aid. Scholarships will be based on unmet financial need, with the maximum scholarship capped at $5,000 per year ($2,500 per semester) until a terminal degree is attained or up to 4 consecutive semesters.