Early decision deadline for 2016 - 2017 is Monday, May 2.
Please read the attached award criteria sheet before completing the scholarship application. By applying you are agreeing to comply with all requirements of the grant. The S-STEM Scholarship is intended to assist full-time students majoring in a STEM major at Hagerstown Community College. The annual maximum awards are based on financial need. The maximum annual award is $5,000. Scholarship decisions are determined by the S-STEM Scholarship Committee and are based on academic promise and financial need. The early decision deadline is Monday, May 2. The fall semester deadline is Monday, August 1. The spring deadline is Tuesday, November 1. Please ensure you have completed each step as listed on the award criteria page before submitting your application. For any questions please call the Student Financial Aid Office at (240)500-2605.
Procedures to Apply for a Scholarship
- Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA online at www.fafsa.ed.gov (based on 2015 tax information). HCC’s school code is 002074. Dependent students must include parent information.
- Complete the S-STEM application and Data Form at the bottom of the page. Paper copies can be obtained at the Student Financial Aid Office.
- Complete a one-page essay describing your academic and career plan(s).
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from former instructors or academic advisors/counselors (preferred), or employers, verifying potential of student for academic work. Recommendations will include assessment of student’s ability to learn, academic and/or intellectual prowess, critical thinking skills, and general knowledge of math and science.
A student receiving an S-STEM scholarship funded by the National Science Foundation must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, refugee alien, or permanent resident alien
Be enrolled full-time (registered for a minimum of 12 credits each semester) in one of the following associate degree programs:
- Alternative Energy Technology
- Computer-Aided Design
- Network Administration
- Advanced Manufacturing Systems/Industrial Technology
- Digital Instrumentation and Process Control
- Computer Forensics
- Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Computer Support Specialist
- Demonstrate financial need defined by the U.S. Department of Education rules for federal financial aid
Demonstrate academic potential or ability through:
- Scores on the SAT, ACT, or HCC’s Accuplacer test for new students
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale in coursework at HCC or in high school
Eligibility for the S-STEM scholarship cannot be determined until the results of the FAFSA are received and verified by the Office of Financial Aid. Scholarships will be based on unmet financial need, with the maximum scholarship capped at $5,000 per year ($2,500 per semester) until a terminal degree is attained or up to 4 consecutive semesters. Awards can be withheld if a student does not follow the requirements of the scholarship. Please see application for a complete list of requirements.