The Learning Support Center offers a series of workshops to help HCC students improve their writing and math skills and develop time management, note-taking, and organization skills that they can use beyond the classroom. All workshops meet in LSC-113 (the “fishbowl”) opposite Info Desk 1. Space is limited, so registration is required.
Check the WORKSHOP CALENDAR for a schedule of all workshops.
Writing Consultation Appointments
Although students may drop in the LSC for writing assistance at any time, the LSC Writing Center schedules appointments for half-hour, 1-on-1 writing consultations. These sessions will help students improve their prewriting, drafting, and revising skills. The appointments will focus on patterns of error that interfere with a student’s ability to communicate clearly in writing.
The Student’s Responsibilities
- Bring a copy of your assignment with you (Moodle, Pearson, printed handout).
- Bring your notes, ideas, and rough drafts.
- Bring a flashdrive if you want to use a computer.
- Prior to your visit, think about what you want out of your consultation, and tell the writing tutor what you want to work on.
- Make appointments well before your paper is due. Writing tutors won't be able to provide much help if you don't have time to revise your paper after the consultation.
Writing Consultants will:
- discuss how to identify and fix patterns of error.
- make suggestions, not lecture or grade you.
- ask you questions to help you imagine ways to revise your draft.
- talk with you about focus, content development, organization, and audience.
- help you learn about punctuation, grammar, and usage.
Writing Consultants will not:
- correct or proofread your paper.
- write the paper for you.
- predict what grade the paper might receive.