(December 8, 2009) - The State Highway Administration (SHA) is continuing work on the intersection at US-40/Edgewood Drive.
Crews are now performing drainage work as part of a $7 million intersection improvement project in Washington County. In a few weeks, SHA will start the widening on westbound US 40 and northbound Edgewood (Robinwood) Drive. SHA anticipates completing the overall project fall 2010, weather permitting.
SHA is improving US 40 and Edgewood Drive by:
• Widening existing two-lane US 40 to three through-lanes between west of I-70 and east of Mt. Aetna Road;
• Widening Edgewood Drive to two through-lanes between the Hoffman Auto Mall and Mt. Aetna Road;
• Improving traffic operations at the intersection by adding new double left-turn lanes from southbound Edgewood Drive to eastbound US 40;
• Enhancing the existing traffic signal to include accessible pedestrian signals (APS) to assist those crossing the intersection. The APS system is an automated voice that alerts pedestrians when to cross; countdown signals display a timer, showing how much time is remaining to safely cross the street;
• Enhancing pedestrian safety with new ADA-compliant sidewalks along westbound US 40 and on Edgewood Drive in both directions throughout project limits; and
• Improving the existing stormwater management system.
During construction, motorists can expect lane closures to occur Mon. through Fri., between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and nightly from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. Single lane closures will allow greater safety for highway crews working on the road and for motorists driving through the work zone. Crews may also need to close a lane of Edgewood Drive, Mon. through Fri., between 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information about this project, call SHA’s District 6 Office at 301-729-8400 or toll free at 1-800-760-7138. You can also visit SHA’s traffic safety Web site at www.choosesafetyforlife.com.