(Release: August 21, 2014)— The deadline for new applicants to apply for the S-STEM Scholarship has been extended to 12 p.m. on Sept. 11. The S-STEM scholarship is open to Hagerstown Community College students majoring in a STEM-based program (science, technology, engineering, or math).
The S-STEM scholarship offers assistance to students pursuing science, math, and technology majors and is based on unmet financial need, with the maximum scholarship capped at $5,000 per year or $2,500 per semester until a terminal degree is attained or up to four consecutive semesters.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be a U.S. citizen, national, refugee, alien, or permanent resident alien
Be enrolled at HCC full-time (registered for 12 credits or more per semester) in one of the following programs:
- Alternative Energy Technology
- Computer Science or Computer Forensics
- Digital Instrumentation and Process Control
- Industrial Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technology (including computer-aided design)
- Network administration
- Complete a FAFSA and demonstrate financial need defined by the U.S. Department of Education rules for federal financial aid
- Demonstrate academic potential or ability through:
- Scores on the SAT, ACT, or HCC’s Accuplacer tests for new students
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale in coursework at HCC or in high school
- Submit a completed application to the Student Financial Aid Office at email@example.com or by dropping off an application in-person in the Administration and Student Affairs (ASA) Building on HCC's main campus
New applicants have until 12 p.m. on Sept. 11 to apply. Returning applicants who submitted their application by the original Aug. 15 deadline will be notified of their approval or denial by Friday, Aug. 29.
For more information about the scholarship or eligibility requirements, visit www.hagerstowncc.edu/forms/financial-aid/stem-scholarship-application.
Former S-STEM Recipients: If you have been awarded the S-STEM Scholarship previously, you must reapply in order to receive it again for the upcoming academic year. (You must reapply every year you wish to receive the scholarship.) To reapply, download the S-STEM Reapplication Form.