The American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA) Blue Ridge Chapter held its “MockUp!” student design challenge on November 2 at Hagerstown Community College.
This one-week design competition invited area graphic design students from Shepherd University, Frederick Community College, and HCC, to create a marketing design for a non-profit client, Building Veterans, of Brunswick.
HCC’s team presented a logo rebranding, animation, video, website, mobile app, t-shirt, business cards, brochures, and fliers. Students competing in HCC’s design team included:
- Marcellus Adams, 27, of Hagerstown, majoring in web and multimedia technology
- Mitchell Florence, 19, of Waynesboro, Pa., majoring in simulation and digital entertainment
- Sarah Garrott, 19, of Dargan, majoring in simulation and digital entertainment
- Hunter Gibson, 19, of Smithsburg, majoring in graphic design technology
- Anthony Mayo, 19, of Hagerstown, majoring in simulation and digital entertainment
- Xander Robeson, 20, of Frederick, majoring in graphic design technology
- Colby Spitz, 19, of Hagerstown, majoring in graphic design technology
Graphic design faculty representing each team included Brad Hamann, from Shepherd University; Lisa Sheirer, from FCC; and Audra Martenot from HCC. Competition mentors included Katlynn Almansor, of the Frederick News Post; Sean Maher, of Attic Light Studio; Sam Jones, of Origin Design Collective; and Addison Landers, of PainfulPleasures. Judges during the competition included Matt Johnston, of Law Offices of Matthew S. Johnston; Kimba Green, of White Lion Social; and Monica Kolbay, of Arachnidworks, Inc.
AIGA is a professional membership organization for design, with more than 70 chapters and more than 25,000 members. Its mission is to advance design as a professional craft, strategic advantage, and vital cultural force. The AIGA Blue Ridge Chapter created the “MockUp!” event nine years ago for graphic design students in the Blue Ridge geographic area to benefit deserving non-profits. For more information, visit www.blueridge.aiga.org.
To learn more about HCC’s Graphic Design Technology Program, visit www.hagerstowncc.edu/graphic-design.
Photo caption: HCC students, from left: Xander Robeson, Sarah Garrott, Mitchell Florence, Marcellus Adams, Hunter Gibson, Anthony Mayo, and Colby Spitz.