A student who has previously defaulted (270+ days late on their student loans) on any prior federal student loan must complete this loan appeal and be approved by the director in order to be eligible for student loans here at Hagerstown Community College.
If the loan(s) are still in default, do not complete this appeal as you must first resolve the default and bring it to good standing. The Student Financial Aid Office is here to help you through the process. If you feel overwhelmed and are struggling with all of this, please contact us and we will be glad to offer any assistance we can.
IMPORTANT: Default appeals may be completed in person with a financial aid staff representative or you may complete the paperwork individually and submit it to the Student Financial Aid Office. In very limited circumstances other arrangements may be made. Please contact us using the instructions below.
Please contact our financial aid line at (240)-500-2473 or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment or to ask any questions.
Requirement Check List
- Schedule an appointment with the financial aid office for one-on-one assistance or print and complete the Default Appeal Form on your own.
- Review the Default Counseling PowerPoint.
- Complete the default appeal quiz.
- Submit the appeal and appeal quiz to the financial aid office.
On a separate piece of paper, type an explanation explaining the following:
- Why did your student loan(s) go into default status?
- What is your plan to avoid defaulting again?
- How has your money management skills improved since the last time you defaulted?
On the back of this form, write the following (be sure to include your signature and date):
“I understand that I am requesting loan funds and I fully intend to pay them back according to my lender’s repayment schedule once I have graduated or otherwise dropped below half-time enrollment.”
- Complete the Financial Awareness Counseling session on www.studentloans.gov website. You will need to use your FSAID (Federal Student Aid ID) Username and password. Make sure to select Hagerstown Community College as the school to be notified.
- Supply HCC with a Student Loan clearance letter from your lender.
You cannot submit this form online.
Please fill out all fields, sign and return to the Student Financial Aid Office. You may scan and email, fax, mail or submit forms in person. Our address, fax number and email address are provided on the form.