November 11, 2013 (All day) - November 13, 2013 (All day)
HCC's Campus Ministries Club is sponsoring a "Shoeboxes for Children" Charity Drive from Nov. 11 through Nov. 13. Students, staff, and faculty are encouraged to fill a shoebox with items for a boy or girl in the following age ranges:
Suggested items include:
- School supplies: Pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons or markers, stamps and ink pad sets, writing pads or paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- Toys: Small cars, balls, dolls, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, small Etch A Sketch,® toys that light up or make noise (with extra batteries), Slinky,® etc.
- Hygiene items: Toothbrush, toothpaste, mild bar soap (in a plastic bag), comb, washcloth, etc.
- Misc.: T-shirts, socks, ball caps, sunglasses, hair clips, toy jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries)
- A personal note from you and your family: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. (If you include your name and address, the child may write back.)
- DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out- of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snowglobes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
Donations will be collected at lunch time on the following days: Nov. 11, Nov. 12, and Nov. 13 in the Student Center. Donors are also asked to include a check for $7 made out to Samaritan's Purse to cover the cost of shipping the shoebox to a child in need. To learn more, visit www.samaritanspurse.org .