The HCC TRiO: Upward Bound Program is a year-round college-preparatory program made possible through a $1.25 million, five-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education. HCC Upward Bound is a program designed to provide students with the skills and motivation necessary to succeed in high school and college.
Upward Bound's mission is to assist low-income, and/or first-generation college bound high school students in the successful completion of secondary education by preparing them academically as well as socially for enrollment and completion of higher education. This is accomplished by providing participants with rigorous and nurturing academic courses; tutoring services; college-preparatory workshops; academic, college, and financial aid advising; career exploration; leadership opportunities; and cultural enrichment.
Upward Bound offers services to students through after-school programs and Saturday Academies during the school year as well as a six-week Summer Enrichment or Summer Bridge Programs. HCC’s Upward Bound program will serve 70 students annually from North Hagerstown, South Hagerstown, Williamsport high schools, and Hancock Middle Senior High School.
What We Offer
- College readiness workshops
- Tutoring services at student's high school
- Academic and career advising
- Financial aid workshops and scholarship research assistance
- College tours
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Service learning opportunities
- Parent workshops
- Opportunities to earn college credit prior to attending college
- 2016 Herald-Mail Article
- 2015 Upward Bound Banquet - Dr. Jason Best
- Zumbathon - Herald Mail Article
- Zumbathon Video
- HCC Press Release
- 2015 Herald-Mail Article