Knowing what to expect makes the transition into college a lot easier and more enjoyable.
- Most classes at Hagerstown are small, averaging 10-35 students. Get to know your classmates and professors.
- You are responsible for your own learning experience, by attending classes and completing assignments on time. A course syllabus will be available for each class with what is to be expected.
- Plan your time wisely, plan for your examinations, papers, etc. Come to class prepared for discussion, ask questions, and contribute to your education. Tests tend to have more emphasis than homework assignments.
- Help is available if you seek it. Professors are available to help so please ask questions. If you find you are having trouble in a class, schedule an appointment with your professor; visit the Learning Support Center for free tutoring; or talk to someone in Academic Advising.
- A significant amount of learning is expected outside of class. Professors may not cover all material in lectures and you will be responsible for reading on your own.
Why you need to plan your time!
Three hours of out of class study time for every one credit hour.
- 15 credits
- x 3 hours
- 45 hours of study/week
Three hours is a guide, but if you understand the material from class, you may not require the three hours.