Student Demonstration Policy (p. 32 Handbook) Students have the right to freedom of expression, inquiry, and assembly without restraint or censorship subject to reasonable and non-discriminatory College rules and regulations regarding time, place, and manner.
Student Demonstration on Campus Procedures The following procedures apply to all student demonstrations:
- Contact the Coordinator of Student Activities to initiate the registration process at least one week prior to the event.
- Complete the Free Speech and Peaceful Assembly registration form and submit it to the Dean of Student Affairs office at least three days prior to the event.
- After the Dean has signed the approval form, work with the Coordinator of Student Activities to reserve space. If the Dean doesn’t approve, she will send written notice indicating reasons why the demonstration registration is being denied.
- The Dean will notify members of the President’s Cabinet and Campus Security.
Demonstrations should not be disruptive to the College campus. Consequently, all gatherings shall:
- Be conducted in an orderly and peaceful manner in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
- Not interfere with classes, scheduled meetings, campus activities, events, ceremonies or with other essential processes of the College.
- Not obstruct automobile or pedestrian traffic.
- Not block entrances to buildings, passageways or stairwells and elevators.
- Be held only at approved designated locations
- Not endanger the safety and rights of persons or damage College property.
- Be scheduled at a time when campus security can attend.
- Participants must be HCC students or employees of the College.
Demonstrations are limited to the following locations when they are not already booked:
- Outside of the buildings on campus property.
- Inside the Hilltop Grill and the Valley Eatery.
- The ARCC Lobby
- Parking Lots (without obstructing traffic)
Demonstration Forms are available in the College Centers Student Activities Office.