Student Learning Outcomes Assessment is a deliberate, systematic, and collaborative process driven by the College's commitment to improve student learning. It is a purposeful course of action that defines student accomplishments in terms of expected learning outcomes and core competencies. Actual student achievement is measured using established internal standards and external benchmarks. The outcomes assessment process is learning-centered and accumulates data from numerous sources to determine what students know, what skills they possess, how they conceptualize, and how they will continue to learn. The overall goal of assessment is to create a quality learning environment under ideal conditions through the use of best practices that inspire creativity, innovation, and critical thinking. Here you will find resources for students, parents, faculty and staff. These resources include templates for faculty, recent outcomes planning documents, and links to external information.
Philosophy at HCC
Student Learning Outcomes Assessment is an ongoing component of the instructional process. All members of the institution share responsibility for student learning. Continuous improvement of learning is a collaborative enterprise upon which the success of instruction depends. The results of SLOA are never used in a punitive manner toward students, faculty or staff. The data collected during the assessment process is used to provide feedback to both students and faculty, reinforcing and improving educational practices that facilitate learning.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
The following attributes are goals of the full HCC experience, designed to impart students with knowledge, skills, and attitudes that go beyond the classroom and equip them with tools for lifelong success.
- Personal and Social Responsibility
- Globalization and Diversity
- Critical Thinking and Communication
- Scientific and Quantitative Reasoning
- Information Literacy and Technology
To find examples of how each ILO is met, check under SLOA Tools below for the Institutional Learning Outcomes document.
Faculty-Developed Outcomes Assessment Data
SLOA Cloud Site (HCC employees)
Sign into your Office 365 account with your complete HCC email address (e.g.,firstname.lastname@example.org) and password.
- Course Outcomes Guide (COG) Fillable Form
- Course Outcomes Guide (COG) Fillable Review Form
- Curriculum Map (MAP) Fillable Form
- Division SLOA Summary Fillable Form
- Program Outcomes Guide (POG) Fillable Form
- Program Outcomes Guide (POG) Fillable Review Form
- Division Director SLOA Responsibilities Video
- Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
- SLOA Guidebook
- SLOA Training Video
- Understanding and Creating COGs Video
- Understanding and Creating POGs Video