To be eligible to participate in the TRiO Student Support Services Program, the student:
- Must be a citizen or national of the United States or meet the residency requirements for federal student financial assistance.
- Must be enrolled in credit courses at Hagerstown Community College or accepted for enrollment in the next academic term.
- Must demonstrate a need for academic support, as determined by the project director, in order to successfully pursue a post-secondary educational program.
In addition, to be eligible the student must meet one or more of the following criteria:
Must be a first generation student (defined as neither parent has earned a four-year degree);
Must be a low-income individual, as defined by the U.S. Department of Education
- Must be an individual with a documented disability, as defined in section 12102 of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Important: Eligibility does not guarantee admission to the program. TRiO SSS staff reserve the right to determine admission based on a comprehensive review of eligibility, academic need, preferred qualifications, and current openings in the program. Preference for admission to TRiO SSS is given to students who:
- Meet multiple eligibility criteria (first-generation, income eligibility, documented disability)
- Have completed or tested above 98-level courses and have a GPA above 2.0
- Are enrolled full-time (12 credits or more each semester) and plan to earn a degree from HCC