What is ESSENCE?
The ESSENCE (Early Support for Students ENtering College Education) Program is designed to give high academic achievers the opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school. To participate in the ESSENCE Program, each student must have a 2.5 high school GPA. ESSENCE students can be in local high schools, local private schools or homeschooled. Students are in the ESSENCE program regardless of where (at HCC or an off-campus location including local high schools) or how the courses are offered (traditional, hybrid, or online).
- View or download the ESSENCE Program Brochure.
About the ESSENCE Program
- HCC gives all high school, homeschool, and private school students a 25% tuition discount on their first 12 college level credits taken while still in high school.
- Washington County Public School students will also receive a tuition discount from Washington County Public Schools for their first 4 classes.
- Students who receive Free and Reduced Meals (FARM) will only pay fees for their ESSENCE classes based on MD Senate Bill 740. To apply for Free and Reduced Meals, go to schoollunchapp.com. Students must sign up to receive Free and Reduced Meals by October 1 for the fall semester and February 1 for the spring semester.
- Maryland residents who attend a public or private high school may apply for additional funding through the ESSENCE Supplemental Scholarship.
- Public high school students whose school has a dual enrollment agreement with HCC can apply for a Federal Pell Grant through the Experimental Pell Grant initiative - See Frequently Asked Questions.
- In most cases, students will be responsible for all fees and the cost of books and other materials needed for a particular course.
- Contact the Financial Aid office at 240-500-2473 or Email email@example.com for more information on the ESSENCE Supplemental Scholarship or high school students receiving Pell Grants.
For more information on the ESSENCE program, please call 240-500-2238 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Become an HCC ESSENCE Student
- Fill out and submit an application for admission to HCC. You can fill out the application online or pick up a paper copy from the counseling office at your high school.
- Submit high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores (if taken) to the Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management.
- Fill out the HCC ESSENCE Program (Early Entry) Application Form. This form is available online and can also be found in the counseling office at your school or picked up in person from the Office of Admissions at HCC.
- Complete HCC placement tests or have the required SAT/ACT/PARCC scores to exempt you from testing. A student is exempt from placement testing if they have a score of 500 or higher on SAT mathematics and/or SAT evidence based reading/writing; 21 on the ACT mathematics and/or ACT English; 4 or higher in 11th or 12th grade PARCC Mathematics and/or English/Language Arts; or completion of college-level courses in mathematics or English. Learn more placement testing or view Web-based tutorials on the Testing Center page.
- Call 240-500-2238 to schedule a time to register. ESSENCE students can't register online. Registration for classes offered at local high schools will be conducted in the classroom when the class begins.
Other Early College Programs for High School Students
STEMM Technical Middle College
High school students interested in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math or Medical) Programs can attend HCC full time during their junior and senior years and earn college credit, which can be applied towards certificates or associate degrees. Learn more at www.hagerstowncc.edu/middlecollege.
TRiO: Upward Bound
Upward Bound is a year-round college-preparatory program made possible through a five-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education. HCC’s Upward Bound program will serve 70 students annually from North Hagerstown, South Hagerstown, Williamsport high schools, and Hancock Middle Senior High School. Learn more at www.hagerstowncc.edu/upwardbound.