The Early Entry program is designed to give high academic achievers the opportunity to earn college credits while still in high school. Through the Early Entry program, Washington County residents can qualify for a tuition discount on the first 12 credits taken while still in high school. Through the Early Entry program, out-of-county or out-of-state residents receive a 25% reduction in tuition rates they would be charged based on residency.
Early Entry students may take classes at HCC’s main campus and/or in dual enrollment classes offered at area high schools. The dual enrollment classes are those that award both high school credit and college credit.
All students must comply with the following guidelines.
- Have a 2.5 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA).
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Have the support of parents/guardians.
- Have the support of the high school counseling office and the principal.
- Maryland students must be on track to complete all Maryland State High School Assessments in core and specialized courses related to their area of study.
- Maryland students must have established a high school career plan to be a University of Maryland Completer and/or a Career Technology Education Completer.
* January graduates may take Early Entry courses in the spring semester and receive the discount if they have a 2.5 CGPA. Those students who do not have a 2.5 CGPA will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Students seeking admission into the Early Entry program must:
- Fill out an application for admission for HCC available online, in the HCC Admissions and Registration Office or in your high school counseling center.
- Forward high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores (if taken) to the Admissions and Registration Office at HCC.
- Fill out an HCC Early Entry Application Form. This form can also be found in your high school counseling center or in the Admissions and Registration Office at HCC.
- Take the Academic Skills Assessment tests at HCC. Appointments can be made to test by clicking here. Exemptions to Placement Testing: 550 or above on the SAT mathematics and SAT critical reading; 21 on the ACT mathematics or ACT English; Completion of college level courses in mathematics and English.
- Schedule an appointment at HCC to register by calling 240-500-2238. Early Entry students can not register on-line. An HCC representative will visit the college classes offered at the high schools to complete the registration process.
Dual Enrollment Credit Award
Upon completion of a course with an awarded passing grade, consistent with the grading policies at HCC and local high schools, the high school student will receive both the designated high school and college credits. College credits WILL NOT be part of a student’s high school GPA, unless they are taught at a high school and are specifically designated as dual enrollment.