The safety and security of the College community are of vital concern. Hagerstown Community College is committed to providing and maintaining a safe environment for all employees, students, visitors, and guests. The College will adopt reasonable and practical means to prevent, deter and respond to campus emergencies.
The preparation of the Emergency Management and Response Plan (EMRP) and the allocation of resources to support the plan are part of the commitment HCC has for the College community.
In order to provide a safe environment, the College will:
- Ensure that employees, students, and others are adequately informed of the Emergency Management and Response Plan.
- Provide appropriate training to the College community.
- Allocate resources to provide a safe and secure campus.
- Establish mental health counseling protocols.
- Coordinate with local law enforcement agencies.
- Maintain a balance between safety and retaining the openness of a college campus.
- Provide and maintain an emergency notification system to keep employees, students, visitors, and guests informed of emergencies.
- Identify and train an Emergency Advisory Team to respond to and coordinate responses to emergencies and disasters.
- HCC has also implemented a notification system that enables the College to send urgent news to student cell phones. Students must sign up for the service. Depending on the personal cell phone plan, there may be a nominal fee from the carrier to receive text messages, but there is no charge from the College to use the service. Sign up at www.hagerstowncc.edu/emergency.
- HCC also maintains a campus siren system that will be sounded in the event of a campus emergency.