Graduation Gift for Class of 2020 High School Students
At HCC, we recognize all the sacrifices high school graduates from the Class of 2020 have been forced to make, due to the pandemic. To honor your accomplishments and show support, we are offering up to two summer classes, tuition-free, as our graduation gift to you.
This opportunity is for 2020 high school graduates to take one or two online classes at HCC this summer, with no charge for tuition. Each student will be responsible for textbook costs and college/course fees. Learn more about college and course fees here.
The offer is open to 2020 high school/homeschool graduates from Washington County and HCC’s neighboring out-of-state counties (Franklin County, PA; Fulton County, PA; Berkeley County, WV; Jefferson County, WV; and Morgan County, WV). This opportunity is open to the first 100 students who apply.
- Application closed May 15.
- Students may select one or two courses beginning May 26, June 29, or July 13, but must be enrolled by May 26
- Students may drop courses or withdraw, with no grade penalty, according to dates set form in Summer 2020 Registration Calendar.
- Grad Gift courses are offered at no charge for tuition.
- Students are responsible for course materials.
- Students may select either one or two courses.
- HCC courses have a high transfer rate to other colleges.
- All Grad Gift courses are offered exclusively online - computer/internet access is essential for success.
- Students with a documented disability that may impact online learning should meet with Disability Support Services to review potential accommodations prior to the start of classes.
- Grad Gift classes are college classes that will show on official college transcripts and may impact academic standing in future college coursework. We expected Grad Gift students to put forth every effort to complete courses.
- 2019-2020 FAFSA Completion is required for HCC administrative purposes.
- Grad Gift classes are available to students who are US Citizens, permanent residents, or eligible non-citizens, regardless of eligibility for federal financial aid.
- Due to disruption of on-campus operations due to the coronavirus, Grad Gift students may apply for additional financial assistance to meet technology and food needs while enrolled in summer classes. Learn more about Student Resources available during COVID-19.
Steps to Apply (must be completed by May 15)
- Completion of the online Application for Admission. Students who have completed a course in the ESSENCE Program do not need to reapply. Each student must know their HCC student ID number and login information.
- Submit a high school transcript to the Admissions Office (email@example.com , showing a 3.0 GPA or SAT/ACT/AP or PARCC scores to indicate that you do not need placement testing. If you need placement testing, you must test by May 15. Testing information, including exemptions to placement tests, can be found on our Future Students page.
- Submit the 2019-2020 FAFSA at www.studentaid.gov. Funding for the Grad Gift is not based on need. The FAFSA is used for program administration.
- Complete and submit this Grad Gift application form.
- After the May 15 deadline, you will be contacted via your HCC college email with instructions on how to register for your class(es). You must be registered by May 26.
- It is each student’s responsibility to submit a copy of your high school diploma and any additional requested paperwork to the HCC Student Financial Aid office by June 15, to remain eligible for this funding.
Students who need help with login information can reach the IT Help Desk by calling 240-500-2891, texting 240-329-4489, or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question or need help? Send an email to email@example.com.