- Quick Links
- Academics (Credit)
- Continuing Education (Non-Credit)
- HCC Portal
- Student Email
- College Central Network
- Emergency Alert Sign-Up
- Transcript Requests
- Alumni Association
- HCC Foundation
- Administrator on Duty
- Directions and Maps
- News and Events
Computer Support Specialist
The Computer Support Specialist degree provides students with the skills to build, troubleshoot and repair microcomputer systems; install operating systems; diagnose and troubleshoot faulty operating systems; install, use and assist others with software applications; setup small networks; write script and batch files; provide end-user support. Students develop troubleshooting and problem solving skills; customer service skills and critical thinking skills. Students gain experience through simulation, labs and interaction in real-world computer repair clinics.
Curriculum prepares students for the following certifications:
- CompTIA A+, Network+
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) or Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), (dependent upon electives taken)
Career Options: User Support Specialist, Computer Support Technician, Help Desk Support Specialist, IT Support Specialist, Desktop Support Specialist, Remote Assistance Technician.
- Employment of Computer Support Specialists expected to increase by 14% from 2008 - 2018; faster than the average for all occupations (BLS) Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Of managers planning to hire: 61% were looking for certification and accreditation to comply with certification and accreditation mandates required by the Federal Information Security Management Act.
- Maryland's DLLR reports expected 2500 jobs through 2016 (CSS/2yr degree) Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- Computer Support Specialist Option, Information Systems Technology, A.A.S.
- Computer Support Specialist, Information Systems Technology, Certificate
- Desktop User Specialist, Information Systems Technology, Certificate