close video
Skip to main content




Federal and State Grants

To be eligible for federal and state grants, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards (SAP).

See the Federal Student Aid website for a list of grants and scholarships.

Federal Grants

Federal Pell Grant 
A federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have financial need. For many students, a Pell Grant provides a foundation of financial aid to which other aid is added.

Due to new federal legislation, students are only eligible to receive a federal Pell Grant for 12 full-time semesters (or its equivalent). This means that if you received 12 full-time semesters (or its equivalent) at any time and at any institution, you will lose eligibility to receive any more Pell Grants. Please note that 12 full-time semesters is approximately six years of study and includes two full-time semesters per year. This would also be equivalent to 24 half-time semesters (six to eight credits). Please note that if you use all of your undergraduate financial aid at HCC, you will not be able to receive Pell Grants to pursue a bachelor’s degree at a four-year institution.

Whether you have used all of your Pell Grant eligibility or only half, please be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes.

You may view your Pell Grant status and use by logging into the National Student Loan Data System.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant 
The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need. FSEOG does not have to be paid back. There is no guarantee that every eligible student will be able to receive FSEOG, as awards are based on availability of funds. Students wanting to receive FSEOG need to have submitted all required information to the HCC Student Financial Aid Office as early in the year as possible.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is for students who are not Pell Grant eligible; whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11; and who, at the time of the parent's or guardian's death, was less than 24 years old or was enrolled at least part-time at a college or university.  The maximum is the same a the Pell Grant maximum.  Payment will be adjusted for less than full-time study.

Maryland Need-based Aid Programs

Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant
Current high school seniors who will complete a college preparatory program, or a student who graduated prior to the current academic year that provides written documentation explaining why he or she was unable to attend college within one year of graduating from high school, may apply for this grant. Applicants must complete the FAFSA and  the Howard P. Rawlings Guaranteed Access Grant application.  Eligible applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking students.

Howard P. Rawlings Educational Assistance Grant
Students attending community colleges will be awarded an Educational Assistance Grant equal to 60% of Maryland Office of Student Financial Aid adjusted need. Funds may not be available to award all eligible students. Eligible applicants must be full-time, degree-seeking students. To renew an award, you must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) and submit the FAFSA no later than March 1 each year.

Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship

Students who plan to enroll full-time in credit-bearing coursework leading to a vocational certificate, certificate, or an Associate's Degree; or in a sequence of credit or non-credit courses that leads to licensure or certification; or in a registered apprenticeship program at a Maryland community college may be eligible for this scholarship. See the Community College Promise Scholarship page for additional information.

Maryland Part-Time Grant
Eligibility for this grant is based on financial need as determined by the FAFSA and availability of funds provided by Maryland Office of Student Financial Aid. It is suggested that the FAFSA be completed as soon as possible after January 1 each year. Recipients are selected by HCC. To be eligible, the student must be attending part time and be enrolled in a degree-seeking program of study.

Maryland Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant
Workforce Shortage Assistance Grant funding is established based on critical shortages in the workforce in Maryland. Eligible majors and employment fields are determined bi-annually. Both merit- and need-based criteria are used when selecting recipients. Students must complete a Maryland Workforce Shortage Student Assistance Grant application

MHEC scholarship applications are available online on the MHEC Applications page.