HCC Dental Education Clinic
HCC Dental Education Clinic
Smile! Alternative dental hygiene care is here.
Did you know? Maintaining good oral health is important for your overall health. Getting regular dental checkups and cleanings can help keep your mouth and your body healthy.
The Dental Education Clinic provides high quality, affordable dental hygiene care. Patient volunteers are cared for by Hagerstown Community College dental hygiene students, under the supervision of registered dental hygienists with advanced educational degrees and a supervising dentist, for a small materials fee. Because the clinic does not accept insurance plan payments, it is a great alternative for those who do not have dental insurance coverage or who desire preventive care beyond what their plan provides.
The Dental Education Clinic is an educational facility where students provide care with close supervision by clinical faculty. Frequent instructor interaction results in longer appointments. The patient should expect to arrive 15 minutes before the scheduled time and remain up to 4 hours. Multiple appointments may be necessary in order to thoroughly treat the needs of the patient.
Payment is expected at time of appointment. Accepted forms of payment include cash ($20 bills or smaller), check with valid driver's license, Visa, Discover, and Mastercard. Students, faculty, and staff must also present their ID badge to receive a discount.
In order for students to obtain their clinical skills toward graduation, they are expected to fulfill specific requirements. This necessitates patient cooperation and return visits until complete. Cancellations at the last minute make continuity of care difficult, if not impossible. If canceling an appointment is necessary, please call the clinic at 240-500-2569 at least 24 hours prior to appointment. Continued cancellations will limit your opportunity for further appointments.
The Dental Education Clinic at Hagerstown Community College provides a complete array of dental hygiene services:
- Complete medical and dental history assessment
- Blood pressure screenings
- Complete dental hygiene exam and assessment of teeth and gums
- Intra-oral and extra-oral cancer screening
- Preventive oral hygiene treatment and instructions
- Risk assessment for periodontal disease and dental caries
- Non-surgical periodontal treatment and follow-up care
- Fluoride treatment
- Dental radiographs (X-rays)
- Scaling and root planning (deep cleaning)
- Nutritional counseling
- Tobacco cessation counseling
- Pit and fissure sealants
- Custom fluoride trays, bleaching trays, and athletic mouth guards
- Referrals as needed, determined by clinic dentist
|Child prophylaxis (cleaning), ages 5-12*
|HCC students, faculty, and staff prophylaxis (must show HCC ID)*
|Adult prophylaxis (cleaning), ages 13 and up*
|*Fluoride treatment is included with price for prophylaxis/SRP
|Scaling with moderate to severe gingivitis
|Periodontal scaling and root planing (deep cleaning)
|$25/quadrant or $100/entire mouth
|Dental X-Ray Services
|Full mouth X-rays (FMX)
|Bitewing X-rays (2 or 4)
|Panoramic X-ray (Pan)
|*Printed copies of all digital x-rays taken at HCC can be given to the patient on the day of visit upon request
|Patient Home Care products
|Athletic mouth guard
|Custom whitening tray w/ tooth whitening kit combo
|The HCC Dental Clinic does not provide services such as braces, gum surgery, bridges or dentures, fillings, or extractions.
Emergency Closing Policies
There are several ways to check on the status of an HCC emergency or weather-related closing/delayed opening:
- In the event of a change to the college schedule based on inclement weather or an emergency, the HCC website homepage (www.hagerstowncc.edu) is updated with an announcement.
- Subscribers to the HCC mobile alert system will receive a message on their designated device (cell phone, email, pager), if the "Closings & Delays” option was selected. For more information on how to subscribe to this free, optional service for HCC students and employees, visit www.hagerstowncc.edu/alert.
- The HCC switchboard number (240-500-2000) has a recorded message about the status.
- Radio and television stations in the Washington County area are notified and many include the information in their broadcasts and/or their websites. However, for the most timely and accurate updates, please check one of the official college sources listed above.
College Closing Policy
If the college is closed, the clinic is closed.
Late Opening Policy: Morning Appointment
If the college has a late opening anywhere between 7:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., the clinic will close for all morning appointments. For example, if your appointment was scheduled from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and the college states that it will open at 10 a.m., then your appointment will be canceled. You will be contacted on the next available business day to reschedule your appointment.
Late Opening Policy: Afternoon Appointment
If the college has a late opening anywhere between 12:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. and you had an afternoon appointment that day, the clinic will close for the day. For example, if your appointment was scheduled from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and the college states that it will open at 2 p.m., then your appointment will be canceled. You will be contacted on the next available business day to reschedule your appointment.
Early Closing Policy
If the college closes early and you are at your appointment, the clinic will have to close. You can either reschedule your appointment before you leave, or you will be contacted on the next available business day to reschedule your appointment.