close video
Skip to main content

Application Process

Application Process

Application Process

There are two ways to apply to HCC:

  1. Apply online by creating an account and then create a new application for admission.
  2. Download and print an Application for Admission. Then bring or mail it to:
    Hagerstown Community College
    Office of Admissions
    11400 Robinwood Drive
    Hagerstown, MD 21742-6590

Things you need to know:

Proof of Residency

To be eligible for in-county or in-state tuition, you'll sign a statement on the application certifying that you've lived at your current address for at least three consecutive months. Adjustments to tuition won't be made once the semester starts, even if you move. Only your permanent residence may be used to determine residency. Documentation of residency may be required. For more information regarding residency requirements, please refer to the residency guidelines.


Send transcripts to the address above if you:

  • Are a high school student (ESSENCE)
  • Have graduated from high school or earned a GED in the last five years
  • Want credits from another college or university transferred to HCC*
  • Have prerequisite courses at another institution
  • Are in the Nursing, radiography, practical nursing, paramedic or dental hygiene programs
  • Are applying for financial aid
    • Transfer students must complete a Transfer Evaluation Request Form. To ensure the successful transfer of previous college credits, students seeking a degree at HCC must submit official transcripts from all colleges attended and any applicable military transcripts to the Registrar's Office. A review of the transcripts will not be completed until all documents are received and a Transfer Evaluation Request Form has been submitted.  If the student has taken CLEP, DSST, AP or similar standardized exams, official score reports must be submitted, as well.

Take Placement Tests

Take placement tests of your reading, writing, and math skills at the Academic Testing Center. All students who want to register for a credit class must take the placement tests. There is no charge for the assessment unless you do not plan to attend HCC or require HCC to send your scores to another school. There will then be a charge of $20 to take assessments.

Test Exemptions

You are:

  • Exempt from testing if you have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 or higher (must be within the past five years)
  • Exempt from the Math assessment if you have a SAT math score or 530 or higher, an ACT math score of 21 or higher, a 4 or higher on 11th or 12 grade PARCC Algebra II exam, if you have passed a college level math course, or if you have a GED Mathematical Reasoning score of 165 or higher.
  • Exempt from the Reading and English assessment if you have a SAT Evidenced Based Reading and Writing score of 480 or higher, an ACT English score of 21 or higher, a 4 or higher on 10th, 11th or 12th grade PARCC English Language Arts exam, if you have passed a college level English composition course, or if you have a GED Reasoning Through Language Arts score of 165 or higher.
  • Exempt from all assessments if you have a degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
  • Exempt from all assessments if you are enrolled at another college or university. Required to show proof of enrollment.

Meet with an Academic Advisor

New students are required to meet with an academic advisor. Advisors are available on a walk-in only basis in the Student Center, Monday through Thursday, from 8:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., and Friday, from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. In order to ensure your visit, it is recommended that you arrive one hour prior to closing. To contact an advisor, email them at Students who will be in the ESSENCE Early College Program must call 240-500-2238 to schedule a time to register for classes.

Readmit Students

If you've attended HCC before but not during the last two years, complete an application and submit it to the Office of Admissions. If you are seeking a degree or certificate, you must complete the requirements for your program listed in the current college catalog.

Students with Disabilities

If you have a learning disability, you are encouraged to identify yourself to the disability support services coordinator as soon as possible after applying for admission. Reasonable accommodations based on documentation are offered to qualified students.