Due to COVID 19, international student acceptance is limited at Hagerstown Community College. For further information, please contact Luis Flores at 240-500-2572.
Requirements for all Permanent Residents, Refugees, Asylees, Visa Holders, and Undocumented Non-Residents
As a permanent resident, refugee, Visa holder, or asylee, your application will be processed after you provide the Admissions Office with the appropriate documentation. Permanent residents must provide a copy of their “green card,” while refugees, certain Visa type holders, and asylees are required to provide a copy of their I-94 card, along with their Visa, containing the departure number and stamp indicating approval for entry as a refugee or asylee. Your application for admission, and perhaps financial aid, may be delayed without prompt receipt of the above.
Requirements for International Students Needing a Form I-20
Prior to the issuance of an I-20 and admission to Hagerstown Community College, applicants who are nonresidents of the U.S. must submit the documents listed below. All documents must be submitted together. To submit these documents, you must schedule an appointment by emailing email@example.com or calling 240-500-2572.:
- An HCC application with a local sponsor’s address and the student’s address from his/her home country.
- A copy of the student’s passport.
- A certified copy of high school and college transcripts in an English translation. A course-by-course evaluation by World Education Services (WES) is required. You may contact WES by calling 212-966-6311 or online using the links above. Students who have earned college credits outside of the US will require a course-by-course evaluation in English translation via WES. Students who already have an Official evaluation completed through an agency other than WES should contact the Registrar at 240-500-2341 for further questions. Hagerstown Community College may consider other evaluations if approved by NACES.
- A statement of financial resources from a United States bank account including the amount and source of funds to cover the student’s college expenses (Form I-134 Affidavit of Support). The approximate cost of tuition, fees, books, and living expenses is $23,062.00 per year. All F-1 students are classified as out-of-state residents for tuition purposes while an HCC student. Students must have a local sponsor who will agree to provide housing, meals, and transportation. HCC does not have on-campus housing, therefore, students must secure housing with a local sponsor. The local sponsor should be a close relative or other responsible individual.
- Students must obtain health insurance through a company of their choice. Student Secure and Compass are two options to meet the needs of international students.
- An official score report from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Students must attain a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test, or 65 on the internet test. Students taking the TOEFL iBT test, must attain a minimum score of 80 over the four sections with a minimum score of 20 in Reading and 20 in Speaking.
The application and all supporting documents must be completed and submitted by May 15 for the fall semester, October 15 for the spring semester, and February 15 for the summer sessions. Students transferring to HCC from another college/university must have all supporting documents submitted by June 30 for the fall semester and October 30 for the spring semester. All documents must be submitted together. To submit these documents, you must schedule an appointment by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 240-500-2572.
The college’s placement assessments are required once the student has been approved for an F-1 visa and arrives on campus.
Tax Information for F-1 Students
- All F-1 students present in the United States last year must file form 8843. Spouses and dependents also file this form.
- Students who worked and earned U.S. income last year must complete the 1040NR-EZ.
- All forms must be completed before April 15.